Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 

Das deutschsprachige Frank-Sinatra-Forum

Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 18 Antworten
und wurde 1.968 mal aufgerufen
 Frank-Sinatra-Forum
Seiten 1 | 2
Jürgen Offline

Capitol Gold

22.05.2006 17:46
#16 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

Ein Interview mit Netzer:

http://www.weltwoche.ch/artikel/?AssetID=3994&CategoryID=63

Jürgen

---------------------------------------------------
"Live every day as if it were your last 'cause one day, you'll be right."

MerseyRat Offline

Columbia Bronze

22.05.2006 18:40
#17 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten
***Marty, I've often wondered how the hell Gerry & The Peacemakerzzz were to pick up "You'll Never Walk Alone" in 1963. I understand their version even rocketed to #1 at the British charts? How did Marsden get struck by American Songbook?***

Fred Marsden, Gerry's brother, who played drums for the band, often made reference to the recordings of Sinatra, Eckstine, Lena Horne et al as non rock influences for the band, one has to consider that Liverpool being a major seaport with historic connections with the US had many Jazz and Blues clubs and pubs which sprang up post war, initially catered for American seamen, but these were soon frequented by the locals as places were "new" music could be heard given that the sailors often brought many of their own records, many of them unavailable in the UK during it's post war lean years, this all predates the Rock n Roll/Beat era. (The Cavern itself began life as purely a Jazz club)

Gerry himself was of course taken by his dad to see the movie Carousel in the 50s and was immediately struck by the music and would sneak in to see it time and again.

When The Pacemakers hit #1 with their first 2 singles in the UK (something not even The Beatles had done) the band had a little more say as to material, and it was Marsden who suggested this childhood favourite as a third single, much to George Martin's chagrin at the time, but it was released none the less and was quickly taken up the Kop as an unnofficial anthem due to it's being a favourite of the half-time DJ at Anfield.

When exactly it became a terrace song really depends on cultural memory, there are life long Liverpool fans who'll tell you it was first sang in tribute to John F Kennedy in November 1963, and subsequently adopted thereafter, which could be plausible as the record was number one over October and November that year. But documentary evidence does exist as early as 1964 for the football connection when the BBC current affairs program Panorama visited Anfield.

Marty : Football's Comin' Home

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

22.05.2006 18:43
#18 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten
Danke für den Link, Jürgen - was man dort liest, ist ein Lehrbeispiel dafür, wie "Legenden" (oder weniger vornehm formuliert: schlichter Unfug) in die Welt gesetzt werden!

Ich zitiere mal aus dem verlinkten Interview:

Frage an Netzer:
Aber Musik mögen Sie: Als Sie für Real Madrid spielten, sind Sie übers Wochenende nach Las Vegas geflogen, um Frank Sinatra zu sehen.

NETZER:
Es war Sinatras erster Auftritt seit 20 Jahren – ein Hochzeitsgeschenk für seine jüngere Tochter Tina. Das Konzert wurde weltweit im Fernsehen übertragen; ich sass am Ehrentisch, und immer wenn die Kamera in meine Richtung schwenkte, bin ich unter den Tisch getaucht.

Wo Netzer damals wirklich war, hab ich ja schon gepostet - in seinem eigentlich ja recht kurzen Statement geht ALLES durcheinander, einschließlich "Zusammenwerfen" mit dem späteren "Main Event"... das will ich aber gar nicht unbedingt Netzer ankreiden, der erinnert sich halt offenbar so daran (und irrt völlig), sowas kommt oft vor.

Es zeigt aber - deswegen erwähne ichs hier nochmal - wie schwierig die Sache eben so sein kann, wenn "Zeitzeugen" das Wort ergreifen. HIER können wirs zufällig mal nachprüfen, weil wir "Sinatra-bekloppt" sind und die passenden Quellen haben... aber was ist mit den vielen anderen "Zeitzeugen", die in anderen Zusammenhängen auftreten? (Jetzt wißt Ihr vielleicht, warum ich es damals so spannend fand & immer noch spannend finde, "Historiker" zum Beruf zu machen!!!)

Wann war eigentlich Netzers erster Auftritt auf dem Rasen nach 20 Jahren?

Bernhard.
-----
"Alte Wege, die wir wandern, werden neue Wege sein,
unser Denkmal ist den andern dann ein Kilometerstein"

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU

http://www.deutsche-sinatra-society.de
My Kind Of People!
-----

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

22.05.2006 18:59
#19 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

Thanks, Marty, for elaborating on those backgrounds! (as you see, the thread has diverged into two sub-threads so to speak, my previous response some mins ago was directed at the other one, i.e. what Netzer tells about his Sinatra story, it crossed with your posting)

The Liverpool "sea harbour connection" (so to speak) never struck me so far, but does indeed bare some logic, e.g. through the "tavern scene" as you more eloquently do explain. (That's indeed how cultural goods (e.g. music) travelled, before the arrival of E-mail & web: Music spread along the ways people would "spread", i.e., travel.) Fine perspective, thanks for hinting us at that, Marty!

I never knew that the Pacemakers outran the Beatles so to speak at the charts - wow!

However:

****But documentary evidence does exist as early as 1964 for the football connection when the BBC current affairs program Panorama visited Anfield.*******

Marty, in this here special context, "as early as" is the wrong phrase when connected to "1964"... you see: SINATRA made his recording in spring 1963. That's the landmark - all else is BF (Before Frank) or PF (Past Frank). (Unreleased outtakes by the way also are PF - postponing Frank LOL LOL LOL).

So - even we Krautz, as long as we have a common ground on Football (silent agreement: England always loses when it comes to penaltys), can agree with our friends from Liverpool that they (i.e. the Liverpoolers [or is it: Living Poolers? Or what? LOL]) did already sing the anthem in "YEAR 1 PF".

How bout that?

Bernhard.

-----
"Alte Wege, die wir wandern, werden neue Wege sein,
unser Denkmal ist den andern dann ein Kilometerstein"

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU

http://www.deutsche-sinatra-society.de
My Kind Of People!
-----

Seiten 1 | 2