Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 

Das deutschsprachige Frank-Sinatra-Forum

Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 18 Antworten
und wurde 1.973 mal aufgerufen
 Frank-Sinatra-Forum
Seiten 1 | 2
MerseyRat Offline

Columbia Bronze

21.05.2006 13:58
Sinatra/World Cup Countdown/Günter Netzer Zitat · Antworten
Interesting little piece in the Bild Am Sonntag today by Günter Netzer "Ich flog heimlich nach Las Vegas zu Sinatra..." in which the former German footballing legend reveals how he secretly "escaped" from his watchers at Real Madrid one weekend during the early 70s to spend an evening watching Sinatra in Vegas. the story of his second hand evening wear I thought was particulary sweet.

Nice mix of two of the most important subjects in the world, Footie & Frank.

Marty : Football's Comin' Home

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

21.05.2006 23:40
#2 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten
Yes Marty, that's quite a popular story over here, which Netzer has told frequently over the years.

Netzer's "entry" to the Vegas-Jet Set was his friend, German director-producer Michael Pfleghar (who directed Sinatra's legendary "A Man & His Music + Ella + Jobim" TV special in 1967). Pfleghar had lived with Tina Sinatra for a time (when Tina was working in Munich 1968-1970), and of course kept the contact to the Sinatras after Tina returned to the US in the 70s.

The performance Netzer attended actually was January 26, 1974 at Caesars Palace, Sinatra's very first official public concert after his comeback from retirement. Prior to the show, Tina Sinatra married Wes Farrell (that's why Pfleghar was in Vegas for the occasion), and the concert itself was attended by various of Frank's co-stars and cohorts, including Tony Bennett. Joey Heatherton and Pat Henry opened for Sinatra, and FS was accompanied by the Nat Brandwynne Orchestra conducted by Gordon Jenkins - one of the comparatevily rare occasions that Gordy conducted on a concert stage for Sinatra.

Sinatra, by the way, obviously kept partying a good deal, so that after the second night, from January 28th onwards, four shows had to be cancelled because of "Vegas throat"...

Must have been quite some days, way back when...

Bernhard.

-----
"Alte Wege, die wir wandern, werden neue Wege sein,
unser Denkmal ist den andern dann ein Kilometerstein"

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU

http://www.deutsche-sinatra-society.de
My Kind Of People!
-----

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

21.05.2006 23:53
#3 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

Nochmal auf Deutsch :

Günter Netzer ist mal (natürlich streng verbotenerweise) während seiner Zeit bei Real Madrid "ausgebüxt" und heimlich nach Las Vegas geflogen, um dort ein paar Tage auf den Putz zu hauen - nämlich aus Anlaß von Sinatras großem Konzertcomeback Ende Januar 1974. Die "Eintrittskarte" war seine Freundschaft mit Michael Pfleghar (Regisseur von "A Man & His Music + Ella + Jobim" für Sinatra 1967, später bei uns "Klimbim" und anderes), der zeitweise auch mal mit Tina Sinatra zusammengelebt hatte. Am Nachmittag vor Sinatras großer Gala-Eröffnung am 26.1.74 heiratete Tina Wes Farrell. Und Sinatra hat wohl auch ordentlich gefeiert, denn am 28./29.1. mußte er 4 Shows wegen "Krankheit" absagen...

Da war bestimmt einiges los in Vegas und im Caesars... lange vorüber, diese Zeiten, leider...

Bernhard.
-----

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998

My Kind Of People!
-----

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

21.05.2006 23:57
#4 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

***Nice mix of two of the most important subjects in the world, Footie & Frank.***

But seriously: I always think of Sinatra whenever they play, or sing, "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the stadiums, which Sinatra recorded and sang so beautifully many times.
http://www.the-main-event.de/songindex/y...rwalkalone.html

Bernhard.

-----

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998

My Kind Of People!
-----

alfred Offline

Il Presidente

21.05.2006 23:57
#5 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

Günther Netzer hat die Geschichte auch vor einigen Monaten im TV erzählt, und dass er da auch von Reportern erwischt wurde, was seinem damaligen Brötchengeber gar nicht geschmeckt hat.
Gruß, Alfred
---
Einer der an die heilige Dreifaltigkeit des Show-Biz glaubt: Frank, Sammy und Dino
http://www.sinatra.info

Miner Offline

Reprise Bronze

21.05.2006 23:58
#6 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

Really a nice story which I've heard for the first time here. Netzer seems to have quite a good taste in music, wouldn't have expected that...
I remember dimly to have read Beckenbauer also likes Frank?

Andreas
(who doesn't agree on your "1st most important thing", anyway )

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

22.05.2006 00:01
#7 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

***Netzer seems to have quite a good taste in music, wouldn't have expected that...***

At least, some (possibly including Gerhard Delling) would argue that Netzer's taste in music might be better than his haircuts...

Bernhard.

-----

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998

My Kind Of People!
-----

Miner Offline

Reprise Bronze

22.05.2006 00:05
#8 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

LOL -
I forced myself to go without that

Gruß, Andreas

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

22.05.2006 00:10
#9 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

If haircuts are of any significance in this context:
May we deduct from there that Franz(=Francis) Müntefering also has a good taste in music?

Bernhard.

-----

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998

My Kind Of People!
-----

Miner Offline

Reprise Bronze

22.05.2006 00:17
#10 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

Well, Francis M. has quite some swing in his voice, eh?
And by the way, Delling shouldn't run someone down about haircuts by himself´.
No doubt in this case about Francis Joseph Ostrich?

Andreas

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

22.05.2006 00:23
#11 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten
Wasn't Ostrich involved with an outtake from Sinatra's "Cycles" album?

When I wake up in the morning,
with my hair down in my eyes,
and she says: Hi...HELL, GET YOURSELF A HAIRCUT!!!!!!

(...)

For God did make those Little Green Scissors,
grab a pair, and cut your hair
for the summertime.

There's no such things as Dr Seuce,
and Münte's or Netzer's looks
are a horror-rhyme...

Bernhard.

-----

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998

My Kind Of People!
-----

Miner Offline

Reprise Bronze

22.05.2006 00:32
#12 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

Only know his hit chart "Come schwänz' with me"

Be wise be sure
that you have abitur
"do you have it at all??"

Andreas

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

22.05.2006 00:38
#13 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten

-----

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998

My Kind Of People!
-----

MerseyRat Offline

Columbia Bronze

22.05.2006 16:29
#14 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten
****But seriously: I always think of Sinatra whenever they play, or sing, "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the stadiums, which Sinatra recorded and sang so beautifully many times.****

Bernhard, I noticed the excellent "You'll Never Walk Alone" piece on the opening page the other day, and Frank's early version apart from being a favourite, could also be said to have inspired it's use as a terrace anthem.

Liverpool's Kop of course adopted the song first back in the early sixties as a response to Merseybeat legend Gerry Marsden & his group The Pacemakers' 1963 version. The choice of the song was a strange one at the time for a guitar based beat group, but both Marsden brothers were more than familiar with the tune because of their parents' interest in all things Sinatra.

Gerry has repeatedly mentioned a love of the American Songbook that he shares with that other Merseybeat icon Paul McCartney, and that influence I think is noticable in many of their self penned pieces. (The pair of them did get rather a lot of stick from their compatriots back in the days apparently)

Of course the song has travelled from terrace to terrace around the world, but it will always have a very special meaning when sang by 50,000 scousers at Anfield Road.

Marty : Football's Comin' Home

Bernhard Offline

It's Sinatra's World

22.05.2006 16:48
#15 RE: Frank Sinatra & The World Cup Countdown Zitat · Antworten
***it will always have a very special meaning when sang by 50,000 scousers at Anfield Road.***

... or especially when sang by a 100,000 losers at Wembley!
(Jupp, das muß Dir doch auch Spaß machen!!!

So that's that for football, pal!! - and very poignantly, following that final game your countrymen had the decency of tearing down the whole stadium (very wise - what else would there have been to chose? I mean, once Da Krautz had put the myth to shambles...)

As for the music:

Marty, I've often wondered how the hell Gerry & The Peacemakerzzz were to pick up "You'll Never Walk Alone" in 1963. I understand their version even rocketed to #1 at the British charts? How did Marsden get struck by American Songbook? (I know he is from the early 40s somewhat - 1944? or such? - but never read anything substantial about it so far). Any clues on his story?

Bernhard.

-----

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA
12.12.1915 - 14.5.1998

My Kind Of People!
-----

Seiten 1 | 2
Franks Haus »»